Thursday, August 14, 2014

Love Unconditionally

Well, I'm sick. It's been a while since I had a cold actually... It was when Addison was born. I had a cough. It hurt so bad to cough with my incision. One of the lactation consultants noticed how I was avoiding truly coughing and she taught me how I could put pressure on my incision and cough that way. It helped a lot but I wasn't strong enough with just my arms to put the amount of pressure I needed. I learned to kneel over a pillow to cough... I don't have a cough this time. Just feel crummy.

Yesterday I actually had a really good day.  Tuesday evening I received a call from the owner of the dog knowledge (where River is), Debbie. She told me that River had injured her foot while attempting to scale a 10 foot fence. That made me very sad, not because she had hurt her foot, but because she still must be struggling a lot with her separation anxiety and isn't enjoying playing with the other puppies. Debbie also brought up that they recently    acquired a dog named Beau that could be an incredible service dog for me. The problem is that we would have to place River in another home because you can't have a working dog and a pet. I guess I forgot to mention, River is not going to be able to be a service dog. Now, I love River to death, don't get me wrong. But I had to consider what would be better for my health and sanity in the future. A service dog might help me to be less dependent on others to go to the grocery store or a doctors appointment. That's why we hoped River could become a service dog in the first place. But how could I give up River? I named her after Addison, we raised her from 6 weeks old, we watched her learn to go up and down the steps. She is a part of the family. 

I know I said I had a good day yesterday, I'm still getting to that part... 

So I called yesterday morning to see how River's foot was doing and her trainer, Drew, answered the phone. I told him what Debbie had said about it possibly being broken and River having to be confined to a cottage from now on because she could escape every fence he had. Well, drew apologized on her behalf and shared that he really wished she had talked to him before calling me. River has not tried to scale the tall fence since last weekend and is really enjoying playing with the other puppies. Drew thoroughly examined River's foot when he saw her limping after she had completed her obedience training. It seemed to him that she had simply gotten an abrasion on her large foot pad. Her adrenaline must have been up when it happened because she didn't start to lump till after her breakfast. So now I realize I had panicked for nothing. River had already started to use her foot again and was playing with a dog twice her size while I was talking to Drew. 

Then I brought up to Drew the suggestion Debbie had made about getting a service dog instead of River. He was again dissapointed that Debbie had not talked with him first. He shared that Beau, the service dog in training, would be a great dog, BUT he is nothing like River. He said that River is one of the most affectionate dogs he has ever trained. She is so much fun to work with, he starts every training day with her. He said that if we did choose to place River, he would put himself at the top of the list of homes to take her because he loves her that much. So obviously, River is amazing. And he sincerely told me that an affectionate dog could be more comforting for me than a service dog, let alone having to deal with the heartbreak of the trade. 

It is so nice to know that River is so loved by her trainer. Looking back, it seems to me that Debbie just doesn't like River that much. I think I had been a little dissapointed in River when we were told she couldn't be a service dog. I stopped calling to check on her daily. I wasn't as excited to see her pictures they had posted... But now I have a renewed love for her. She is exactly the kind of dog that I need right now. I can't wait till she comes home. A dog is a friend that will love you unconditionally. And that is what I need right now. Love unconditionally. 

With Love,

Addison and River's Mommy

P.s. Enjoy this video of River the day after we got her.

 
 

3 comments:

  1. She is chasing me in this video. I miss river too and can't wait to get her back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad river is staying with you! she is a very sweet and smart dog!

    ReplyDelete