Monday, May 12, 2014

How I Celebrated Mother's Day

May 12

I have heard from some mothers, that Mother's Day can feel very strange. It's like celebrating a daily routine. Such as going to work or mowing the lawn. I kinda feel like that right now. We celebrated my motherhood yesterday. And that is very different for someone who only has an angel child. It was like we were celebrating my efforts to remember Addison. Or adding to them. Like a Memorial Day for Addison. That's exactly what I wanted it to be, but it's also strange because I do that everyday. I try my best to remember her every day, hour, and moment.

I think some people thought it was strange that I was maybe making Mother's Day more about Addison than any of the other mothers or children. They would take the packet of seeds from me, sorta say thanks, and start looking for a seat. They didn't even realize how much effort I had put into surviving Mother's Day.

If you haven't opened up your seeds yet, this is going to be a spoiler. On the backside of the planting instructions you will see the true history of Mother's Day. In short, Mother's Day was really founded for a mother who had lost 7 children. Today's Mother's Day hardly resembles this at all. In fact, it glorifies the things that mothers do out of charity and removes the holiness of that loving task with forced consumerism. Don't get me wrong, mothers should get a break. But not just once a year. Mothers should be appreciated. But not just once a year. Mothers should be doted upon. But not just once a year. So excuse me if I claim Mother's Day for myself, but it WAS for me. It was for me and all the mothers who never wanted a break. We didn't need to be appreciated. We didn't need to be doted upon. We just wanted to pour out our love into that precious child that can no longer run into our arms, or cry for us to console them, or smile and melt our hearts.

If I ever get asked to give a Mother's Day talk, it will be about the bereaved mother. Not the "perfect" or "imperfect" mother.

I guess I hope you all had a good Mother's Day. I survived mine. I might have even survived with a smile.

Addison's Mommy

24 Likes

Nadya Greene I read about the origins of Mother's Day recently and it saddened me that today we've forgotten why the holiday was established and rather focus on what we should buy to adequately celebrate it. I think you should definitely give a talk about bereaved mothers. I'm sure, in addition to there being no dry eyes in the congregation, it'll be very difficult to not feel the Spirit.

Debra V. Wade Hugs sweet mama of such a beautiful angel, hugs...and yes a group of us did just that, survived Mother's Day. We love you, your remarkable!!!

Valerie Jones Merrell I came in on Sarah's side of the building, and it wasn't until I sat down that I had a chance to look at the packet and see what it was. We are excited to plant ours and take pictures!

Marcy Howard I loved the forget me nots. I plan to plan on planting some each year on her birthday because honestly I don't have a green thumb so I am not sure how long I can keep them pretty.  It will be a beautiful celebration on her life and I thank you for them.

Olivia Margarita Almendares I loved your sweet gift and want you to know you and Addison have made an eternal impression on my heart and soul

No comments:

Post a Comment